John Dowland


John Dowland

The Communion motet for Choral Eucharist this coming Sunday is John Dowland, They that are down. Scroll for access to a wide selection of his vocal and lute pieces.

Clear or cloudy sweet as April showering (Second Book of Songs), for 4 voices; lute 

My Lord Willoughby's Welcome Home (2 versions, 1 for 2 lutes (second part doubtful authenticity)), for lute, P 66

Come again, sweet love doth now invite (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices; lute

Flow, my tears, fall from your springs (Second Book of Songs), for 2 voices; lute

Pavana Lachrimae (A Pilgrimes Solace), for lute or keyboard

Tell me, true Love (A Pilgrimes Solace) for voice, bass viol, 4 part chorus; lute

A Fancy, for lute
If my complaints could passions move (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices; lute

Time stands still (Third Book of Songs), for voice, lute; bass viol

Fantasia (possibly spurious), for lute in G minor, P 71

Sorrow, stay, lend true repentant tears (Second Book of Songs), for 2 voices; lute

The lowest trees have tops (Third Book of Songs), for 4 voices; lute

In darkness let me dwell (A Pilgrim's Solace), for voice, lute; bass viol 

My thoughts are winged with hopes (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices; lute

Now, O now I needs must part (First Book of Songs), for 4 voices; lute