John Dowland: My Thoughts

The First Booke of Ayres, 1597

My thoughts are wing’d with hopes,
My hopes with love.
Mount Love unto the moon in clearest night
And say, as she doth in the heavens move,
In earth so wanes and waxeth my delight:
And whisper this but softly in her ears,
Hope oft doth hang the head,
And Trust shed tears.
And you, my thought that some mistrust
Do carry, if for mistrust
My mistress do you blame
Say, tho’ you alter, yet you do not vary
As she doth change, and yet remain the same:
Distrust doth enter hearts, but not infect
And love is sweetest, seasoned with suspect.
If she, for this, with clouds do mask her eyes,
And make the heavens dark with her disdain,
With windy sighs disperse them in the skies
Or with thy tears dissolve them into rain;
Thoughts, hope and love return to me no more
Till Cynthia shine as she hath done before.


Perforance by Paul Ellitt, tenor; Robert spencer, lute; The Deller consort. [YouTube]

Performance of Julianne Baird, soprano; Elaine Comparone, lute [NML] (info)