Peccantem me quotidie



Fra Angelico, Penitent St. Jerome. Princeton University, c.1424

Peccantem me quotidie
et non penitentem,
Timor mortis conturbat me.

I sin every day
and am not penitent;
the fear of death upsets me:

Quia in inferno nulla est redemptio. 
Miserere mei, Deus, et salva me.

Because in hell there is no redemption.
Have mercy upon me, O God, and save me.

Deus, in nomine tuo salvum me fac,
et in virtute tua libera me.

O God, save me for Thy name's sake
and deliver me in Thy strength.


William Byrd: Performance by The Deller consort [YouTube]

William Byrd: Performance by AlamireDavid Skinner conducting [BNQ; BM] (info) [YouTube]

William Byrd: Performance by the Cardinall’s Musick, Andrew Carwood conducting [Grooveshark]

Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina: Performance by the Westminster Cathedral Choir, Stephen Cleobury conducting [musicMe]

Carlo Gesualdo: Performance by the Oxford Camerata, Jeremy Summerly conducting. [YouTube]

Carlo Gesualdo: Performance by the Empire Brass (transcribed for winds by Peter Maxwell Davies) [Grooveshark]

Carlo Gesualdo: Performance by Chanticleer [Grooveshark]

Gregorian chant: [YouTube]

Gregorian chant: Performance by the Voices of Tranquility [Grooveshark]

Martín Gorostidi: Performance by La Escolanía del Escorial, Gustavo Sánchez conducting [YouTube] (begins at 1:45)

Cristóbal de Morales: Performance of the Coro Averroes [YouTube]

Tómas Luis de Victoria: Performance of the Hilliard Ensemble [YouTube]