Johann Ebeling: All my heart this night rejoices

Johann Ebeling

All my heart this night rejoices, as I hear, far and near, sweetest angel voices: Christ is born, their choirs are singing, till the air everywhere now with joy is ringing.
Hark! a voice from yonder manger, soft and sweet, doth entreat: Flee from woe and danger! Brethren, come! from all that grieves you are freed; all you need I will surely give you.
Come, then, let us hasten yonder! Here let all, great and small, kneel in awe and wonder. Love him who with love is yearning. Hail the star that from far bright with hop is burning.
Thee, dear Lord, with heed I’ll cherish, live to thee, and with thee dying, shall not perish; but shall dwell with thee for ever, for on high in the joy that can alter never.

                                          Gerhardt, tr. Winkworth