Improperium


James Tissot, Vinegar to Drink, Brooklyn Museum, 1884-96
 
Improperium expectavit cor meum et miseriam et sustinui qui simul mecum contristaretur et non fuit; consolatem me quaesivi, et non inveni et dederunt in escam meam fel et in siti mea potaverunt me aceto.
 
Thy rebuke hath broken my heart; I am full of heaviness.  I looked for some to have pity on me but there was no man, neither found I any to comfort me.  They gave me gall to eat, and when I was thirsty they gave me vinegar to drink.

In the traditional Roman Catholic Mass, Improperium was the Offertory chant for Palm Sunday. 

Gregorian chant:

The Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos  [Grooveshark]

Schola Vocales Basiliensis, Rudolf Lutz conducting [We7] (info)

The Benedictine Monks of Saint-Pierre de Solesmes, dom Joseph Gajard conducting [musicMe] (info)

Orlande de Lassus:

SingerPur [NML] (info)

 Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina:

Trinity College Choir, Cambridge; Richard Marlow conducting [NML] (info)

Artujro Baroncheli:

Coro de la Santa
[YouTube