Tomás Luis de Victoria: Populi meus

Popule meus, quid feci tibi?  
O my people, what have I done to thee?
Aut in quo contristavi te? Responde mihi. 

 Or in what way have I afflicted thee? Answer me.
Quia eduxi te de terra Aegypti: 

 For I led thee out of the land of Egypt:
parasti crucem Salvatori tuo. 

 and thou preparedst a cross for thy Saviour.
Agios o Theos. Sanctus Deus.
 

Holy God. Holy God.
Agios ischyros. Sanctus fortis.
 

Holy and mighty. Holy and mighty.
Agios athanatos, eleison imas. 

 Holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
Sanctus et immortalis, miserere nobis.
 

Holy and immortal, have mercy on us.
Quia eduxi te per desertum quadraginta annis,

For I led thee through the desert for forty years,
et manna cibavi te, et introduxi in terram satis optimam:
 

and fed thee with manna and led thee to a land of all delights:
parasti crucem Salvatori tuo. 

and thou preparedst a cross for thy Saviour.