George Frideric Handel: Chandos Anthems Nos. 1-6 (Mann)

The Organ of St. Lawrence Whitchurch

George Frideric Handel (1685-1759): Chandos Anthem Nos. 1-6

Performance by
Helen Boatwright, soprano; Charles Bressler, tenor; Donald Miller, bass; Jerrold Held, bass; Harry Shulman, Arthur Krilov, oboe; Morris Newman, bassoon; Matthew Raimondi, violin; Seymour Barab, cello; Paul Maynard, positiv; The Collegium Musicum of Rutgers University; Alfred Mann conducting.

To listen, click on underlined movements

Chandos Anthem No.1, HWV 246, 'O, be joyful in the Lord (Psalm 100)

Sonata

Tenor & Chorus: O be joyful in the Lord, all ye lands:
Serve the Lord with gladness, and come from his presence with a song.

Soprano & Bass (Duet): Be ye sure that the Lord he is God; it is he that has made us, and now we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Chorus: O go your way into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and speak good of his Name.

Soprano, Tenor & Bass (Trio): For the Lord is gracious, his mercy is everlasting: and his truth endureth from generation to generation.

Chorus: Glory be to the Father, glory be to the Son: and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be; world without end. Amen.

Chandos Anthem No.2, HWV 247,'In the Lord put I my trust' (Psalm 11)

Sonata

Chorus: In the Lord I put my trust! How say you then to my soul she shall flee as a bird unto the hill?

Tenor: God is a constant sure defence against oppressing rage, as troubles rise, his needful aids in our behalf engage.

Chorus: Behold! The wicked bend their bow, and ready fix their dart, lurking in ambush to destroy the man of upright heart.

Tenor: But God, who hears the suff'ring pow'r, and their oppression knows, will soon arise and give them rest in spite of all their foes.

Chorus: Snares, fire and brimstone on their heads shall in one tempest show'r: this dreadful mixture his revenge into their cup shall pour.

Tenor: The righteous Lord will righteous deeds with signal favour grace, and to the upright man disclose the brightness of his face.

Chorus: Then shall my song, with praise inspir'd, to thee my God ascend, who to thy servants in distress such bounty didst extend.

Chandos Anthem No.3, HWV 248, 'Have mercy upon me' (Psalm 51)

Sonata

Chorus: Have mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness: according to the multitude of thy mercies do away mine offences.

Soprano & Tenor (Duet): Wash me thoroughly from my wickedness: and cleanse me from my sin.

Tenor: For I acknowledge my faults: and my sin is ever before me.

Tenor: Against thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified in thy saying, and clear'd when thou art judg'd.

Chorus: Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness: that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

Soprano: Make me a clean heart, O God: and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from the presence: and take not thy holy spirit from me. OI give me the comfort of thy help again: and stablish me with thy free Spirit.

Chorus: Then shall I teach Thy ways unto the wicked: and sinners shall be converted unto Thee.

Chandos Anthem No. 4, HWV 249b "O Sing unto the Lord" (Psalm 96)

Sonata

Soprano and Chorus: O Sing Unto The Lord a new song! O sing unto the Lord all the whole earth.

Chorus: Declare His Honour unto the heathen, and his wonders unto all people. For the Lord is great, and cannot worthily be praised. He is more to be fear'd than all gods.

Tenor: The Waves Of The Sea rage horribly, but yet the Lord who dwells on high is mightier.

Soprano and Tenor (Duet): O Worship The Lord in the beauty of holiness.

Chorus: Let the whole earth stand in awe of him.

Chorus: Let The Heav'ns Rejoice, and let the earth be glad, let the sea make noise and all that therein is.

Chandos Anthem No. 5, HWV, 250c, 'I will magnify thee' (Psalm 145)

Sonata

Chorus: I will magnify thee, O God my King, and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.

Tenor: Ev'ry day will I give thanks unto thee, and praise thy name for ever and ever.

Chorus: One generation shall praise thy works unto another, and declare thy pow'r.

Tenor: The Lord preserveth all them that love him, but scatt'reth abroad all the ungodly.

Soprano: The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works, he will fulfill the desire of them that fear him.

Tenor & Chorus: My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord, and let all flesh give thanks unto his holy name for ever and ever. Amen.

Chandos Anthem No.6, HWV 251b, 'As pants the Hart for cooling streams' (Psalm 42)

Sonata

Chorus: As pants the hart for cooling streams, so longs my soul for thee O God.

Soprano: Tears are my daily food, while thus they say: where is now thy God?

Tenor: Now, when I think thereupon, I pour out my heart by myself, for I went with the multitude and brought them out into the house of God.

Chorus: In the voice of praise and thanksgiving among such as keep holy-day.

Soprano & Tenor (Duet): Why so full of grief, O my soul? Why so disquieted within me?

Tenor & Chorus: Put thy trust in God, for I will praise him.